Connect with us

News

Philippines Calls on China to Submit South China Sea Claims to International Arbitration

China’s sweeping claims of sovereignty over the sea have antagonized competing claimants Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan, and Vietnam.

In the wake of yet another deadlock over the weekend, the defense minister of the Philippines called on China to submit its sovereignty claims in the South China Sea to international arbitration on Monday.

In response to what it called “aggressive actions” by the Chinese coastguard, the Philippine foreign ministry summoned the Charge d’affaires and told its Beijing mission to formally complain with the foreign ministry in Beijing.

In a statement, the ministry criticized China for its actions last week, calling them “unacceptable” and stating that China has no business being in the South China Sea’s Second Thomas Shoal. China claims it took the appropriate steps in response to the Philippines’ alleged invasion.

The latest incident in a series of confrontations that have occurred in the previous year occurred when the Philippines accused the Chinese coastguard of deploying water cannons against a civilian boat that was delivering supplies to troops stationed aboard a grounded warship at the contested Second Thomas Shoal. The attack damaged the resupply boat and injured several of the crew members.

“Why don’t we arbitrate under international law? If China is not afraid to state its claims to the world,” Philippine Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro told reporters.

The Chinese coast guard claimed it attacked the Philippine ships by whatever means were required. The Chinese defense ministry sent a warning to the Philippines on Sunday, urging them to stop making statements and taking “provocative actions” that could escalate tensions.

To discuss the incident and formulate suggestions for President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. to consider moving further with the conflict, the national security adviser of the Philippines called a conference of senior security officials on Monday.

In response to what it called "aggressive actions" by the Chinese coastguard, the Philippine foreign ministry summoned the Charge d'affaires

Even though it lies inside the Philippines’ 200-mile (320-km) EEZ, China asserts sovereignty over nearly the whole South China Sea, including Second Thomas Shoal.

In spite of the Permanent Court of Arbitration’s 2016 ruling that Beijing’s expansive claim lacked legal standing, the Chinese capital has nevertheless sent hundreds of coastguard vessels to police the South China Sea, which it claims as its own.

“They are the ones who entered our territory,” stated Teodoro, the Philippine Secretar of Defense.

“No country believes (their claims) and they see this as their way to use force, intimidate and bend the Philippines to their ambitions.”

The South China Sea Territorial Conflicts

China has provoked hostility among rival claimants in Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Taiwan, and Vietnam with its expansive assertions of sovereignty over the sea, which is believed to contain eleven billion barrels of undiscovered oil and one hundred and twenty trillion cubic feet of natural gas.

Several nations have staked claims to islands and regions in the South China Sea, including the Spratly Islands, which are home to abundant fisheries and natural resources, since the 1970s.

If the leaders of China and Southeast Asia are unable to resolve their differences diplomatically, it could lead to a weakening of international regulations that regulate maritime conflicts and potentially promote the development of unstable weapon stockpiles.

China argues that its exclusive economic zone (EEZ) is off-limits to foreign forces conducting reconnaissance flights or other intelligence-gathering operations due to international law.

The United States maintains that the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) mandates that claimant nations be exempt from notifying other claimant nations of military operations and should have unfettered navigation across their exclusive economic zones (EEZs) at sea.

The Hague south china sea

The Permanent Court of Arbitration at The Hague issued a verdict in favor of the Philippines on nearly all counts in a UNCLOS dispute against China. China has refused to recognize the tribunal’s jurisdiction, despite being a party to the treaty that created it.

Recent satellite images have revealed China’s stepped-up attempts to physically expand existing islands or construct new ones in the South China Sea in a bid to recover territory there.

China has built airstrips, ports, and military bases, mostly in the Paracel and Spratly Islands, where it has twenty outposts and seven outposts, respectively, in addition to shoring up preexisting reefs. China has sent fighter planes, cruise missiles, and a radar system to Woody Island, turning it into a military base.

The US is in favor of a binding code of conduct and other confidence-building measures since it has significant interests in protecting maritime lines of communication (SLOCs) and facilitating free navigation.

The sea lanes of communication (SLOCs) are vital for commerce and the deployment of naval troops, but they are now under danger from Chinese claims.

By conducting freedom of navigation operations and strengthening assistance for Southeast Asian partners, the United States has contested China’s aggressive territorial claims and land reclamation projects in the region, in order to safeguard its political, security, and economic interests.

The U.S.-Malaysia military treaty raises the prospect of American involvement in a fight between China and the Philippines over rich fishing grounds or huge natural gas reserves in contested land.

Additionally, Japan has sold military vessels and equipment to Vietnam and the Philippines in an effort to counter China’s aggressive behavior in the contested area and strengthen their ability to protect their maritime borders.
Upcoming Changes

Despite China’s heightened military activity in the South China Sea, which included a series of naval maneuvers and exercises in March and April 2018, tensions with the Philippines and Vietnam have lately cooled.

As this is going on, China is using the man-made islands it has constructed in territorial waters to establish military and industrial outposts.

Police Seizes 2 Tons of Crystal Meth Destine for Philippines and Australia

Police Seizes 2 Tons of Crystal Meth Destine for Philippines and Australia

News

Google’s Search Dominance Is Unwinding, But Still Accounting 48% Search Revenue

Google

Google is so closely associated with its key product that its name is a verb that signifies “search.” However, Google’s dominance in that sector is dwindling.

According to eMarketer, Google will lose control of the US search industry for the first time in decades next year.

Google will remain the dominant search player, accounting for 48% of American search advertising revenue. And, remarkably, Google is still increasing its sales in the field, despite being the dominating player in search since the early days of the George W. Bush administration. However, Amazon is growing at a quicker rate.

google

Google’s Search Dominance Is Unwinding

Amazon will hold over a quarter of US search ad dollars next year, rising to 27% by 2026, while Google will fall even more, according to eMarketer.

The Wall Street Journal was first to report on the forecast.

Lest you think you’ll have to switch to Bing or Yahoo, this isn’t the end of Google or anything really near.

Google is the fourth-most valued public firm in the world. Its market worth is $2.1 trillion, trailing just Apple, Microsoft, and the AI chip darling Nvidia. It also maintains its dominance in other industries, such as display advertisements, where it dominates alongside Facebook’s parent firm Meta, and video ads on YouTube.

To put those “other” firms in context, each is worth more than Delta Air Lines’ total market value. So, yeah, Google is not going anywhere.

Nonetheless, Google faces numerous dangers to its operations, particularly from antitrust regulators.

On Monday, a federal judge in San Francisco ruled that Google must open up its Google Play Store to competitors, dealing a significant blow to the firm in its long-running battle with Fortnite creator Epic Games. Google announced that it would appeal the verdict.

In August, a federal judge ruled that Google has an illegal monopoly on search. That verdict could lead to the dissolution of the company’s search operation. Another antitrust lawsuit filed last month accuses Google of abusing its dominance in the online advertising business.

Meanwhile, European regulators have compelled Google to follow tough new standards, which have resulted in multiple $1 billion-plus fines.

google

Pixa Bay

Google’s Search Dominance Is Unwinding

On top of that, the marketplace is becoming more difficult on its own.

TikTok, the fastest-growing social network, is expanding into the search market. And Amazon has accomplished something few other digital titans have done to date: it has established a habit.

When you want to buy anything, you usually go to Amazon, not Google. Amazon then buys adverts to push companies’ products to the top of your search results, increasing sales and earning Amazon a greater portion of the revenue. According to eMarketer, it is expected to generate $27.8 billion in search revenue in the United States next year, trailing only Google’s $62.9 billion total.

And then there’s AI, the technology that (supposedly) will change everything.

Why search in stilted language for “kendall jenner why bad bunny breakup” or “police moving violation driver rights no stop sign” when you can just ask OpenAI’s ChatGPT, “What’s going on with Kendall Jenner and Bad Bunny?” in “I need help fighting a moving violation involving a stop sign that wasn’t visible.” Google is working on exactly this technology with its Gemini product, but its success is far from guaranteed, especially with Apple collaborating with OpenAI and other businesses rapidly joining the market.

A Google spokeswoman referred to a blog post from last week in which the company unveiled ads in its AI overviews (the AI-generated text that appears at the top of search results). It’s Google’s way of expressing its ability to profit on a changing marketplace while retaining its business, even as its consumers steadily transition to ask-and-answer AI and away from search.

google

Google has long used a single catchphrase to defend itself against opponents who claim it is a monopoly abusing its power: competition is only a click away. Until recently, that seemed comically obtuse. Really? We are going to switch to Bing? Or Duck Duck Go? Give me a break.

But today, it feels more like reality.

Google is in no danger of disappearing. However, every highly dominating company faces some type of reckoning over time. GE, a Dow mainstay for more than a century, was broken up last year and is now a shell of its previous dominance. Sears declared bankruptcy in 2022 and is virtually out of business. US Steel, long the foundation of American manufacturing, is attempting to sell itself to a Japanese corporation.

Could we remember Google in the same way that we remember Yahoo or Ask Jeeves in decades? These next few years could be significant.

SOURCE | CNN

Continue Reading

News

2024 | Supreme Court Won’t Hear Appeal From Elon Musk’s X Platform Over Warrant In Trump Case

trump

Washington — Trump Media,  The Supreme Court announced Monday that it will not hear an appeal from social media platform X about a search warrant acquired by prosecutors in the election meddling case against former President Donald Trump.

The justices did not explain their rationale, and there were no recorded dissents.

The firm, which was known as Twitter before being purchased by billionaire Elon Musk, claims a nondisclosure order that prevented it from informing Trump about the warrant obtained by special counsel Jack Smith’s team violated its First Amendment rights.

The business also claims Trump should have had an opportunity to exercise executive privilege. If not reined in, the government may employ similar tactics to intercept additional privileged communications, their lawyers contended.

trump

Supreme Court Won’t Hear Appeal From Elon Musk’s X Platform Over Warrant In Trump Case

Two neutral electronic privacy groups also joined in, urging the high court to hear the case on First Amendment grounds.

Prosecutors, however, claim that the corporation never shown that Trump utilized the account for official purposes, therefore executive privilege is not a problem. A lower court also determined that informing Trump could have compromised the current probe.

trump

Trump utilized his Twitter account in the weeks preceding up to his supporters’ attack on the Capitol on January 6, 2021, to spread false assertions about the election, which prosecutors claim were intended to create doubt in the democratic process.

The indictment describes how Trump used his Twitter account to encourage his followers to travel to Washington on Jan. 6, pressuring Vice President Mike Pence to reject the certification, and falsely claiming that the Capitol crowd, which battered police officers and destroyed glass, was peaceful.

musk trump

Supreme Court Won’t Hear Appeal From Elon Musk’s X Platform Over Warrant In Trump Case

That case is now moving forward following the Supreme Court’s verdict in July, which granted Trump full immunity from criminal prosecution as a former president.

The warrant arrived at Twitter amid quick changes implemented by Musk, who bought the company in 2022 and has since cut off most of its workforce, including those dedicated to combating disinformation and hate speech.

He also welcomed back a vast list of previously banned users, including Trump, and endorsed him for the 2024 presidential election.

SOURCE | AP

Continue Reading

News

The Supreme Court Turns Down Biden’s Government Appeal in a Texas Emergency Abortion Matter.

Supreme Court

(VOR News) – A ruling that prohibits emergency abortions that contravene the Supreme Court law in the state of Texas, which has one of the most stringent abortion restrictions in the country, has been upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States. The United States Supreme Court upheld this decision.

The justices did not provide any specifics regarding the underlying reasons for their decision to uphold an order from a lower court that declared hospitals cannot be legally obligated to administer abortions if doing so would violate the law in the state of Texas.

Institutions are not required to perform abortions, as stipulated in the decree. The common populace did not investigate any opposing viewpoints. The decision was made just weeks before a presidential election that brought abortion to the forefront of the political agenda.

This decision follows the 2022 Supreme Court ruling that ended abortion nationwide.

In response to a request from the administration of Vice President Joe Biden to overturn the lower court’s decision, the justices expressed their disapproval.

The government contends that hospitals are obligated to perform abortions in compliance with federal legislation when the health or life of an expectant patient is in an exceedingly precarious condition.

This is the case in regions where the procedure is prohibited. The difficulty hospitals in Texas and other states are experiencing in determining whether or not routine care could be in violation of stringent state laws that prohibit abortion has resulted in an increase in the number of complaints concerning pregnant women who are experiencing medical distress being turned away from emergency rooms.

The administration cited the Supreme Court’s ruling in a case that bore a striking resemblance to the one that was presented to it in Idaho at the beginning of the year. The justices took a limited decision in that case to allow the continuation of emergency abortions without interruption while a lawsuit was still being heard.

In contrast, Texas has been a vocal proponent of the injunction’s continued enforcement. Texas has argued that its circumstances are distinct from those of Idaho, as the state does have an exemption for situations that pose a significant hazard to the health of an expectant patient.

According to the state, the discrepancy is the result of this exemption. The state of Idaho had a provision that safeguarded a woman’s life when the issue was first broached; however, it did not include protection for her health.

Certified medical practitioners are not obligated to wait until a woman’s life is in imminent peril before they are legally permitted to perform an abortion, as determined by the state supreme court.

The state of Texas highlighted this to the Supreme Court.

Nevertheless, medical professionals have criticized the Texas statute as being perilously ambiguous, and a medical board has declined to provide a list of all the disorders that are eligible for an exception. Furthermore, the statute has been criticized for its hazardous ambiguity.

For an extended period, termination of pregnancies has been a standard procedure in medical treatment for individuals who have been experiencing significant issues. It is implemented in this manner to prevent catastrophic outcomes, such as sepsis, organ failure, and other severe scenarios.

Nevertheless, medical professionals and hospitals in Texas and other states with strict abortion laws have noted that it is uncertain whether or not these terminations could be in violation of abortion prohibitions that include the possibility of a prison sentence. This is the case in regions where abortion prohibitions are exceedingly restrictive.

Following the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, which resulted in restrictions on the rights of women to have abortions in several Republican-ruled states, the Texas case was revisited in 2022.

As per the orders that were disclosed by the administration of Vice President Joe Biden, hospitals are still required to provide abortions in cases that are classified as dire emergency.

As stipulated in a piece of health care legislation, the majority of hospitals are obligated to provide medical assistance to patients who are experiencing medical distress. This is in accordance with the law.

The state of Texas maintained that hospitals should not be obligated to provide abortions throughout the litigation, as doing so would violate the state’s constitutional prohibition on abortions. In its January judgment, the 5th United States Circuit Court of Appeals concurred with the state and acknowledged that the administration had exceeded its authority.

SOURCE: AP

SEE ALSO:

Could Last-Minute Surprises Derail Kamala Harris’ Campaign? “Nostradamus” Explains the US Poll.

Scientists Awarded MicroRNA The Nobel Prize in Medicine.

US Inflation will Comfort a Fed Focused on Labor Markets.

Continue Reading

Trending