Connect with us

Regional News

Tensions in South China Sea Remain for US Navy

A landing craft air cushion hovers past the amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard near Okinawa. Between the Bonhomme Richard, the aircraft carrier USS George Washington and other ships, more than 10,000 sailors and Marines have deployed for patrols and exercises in the Western Pacific region.

YOKOSUKA — About 10,000 sailors and Marines have set sail for the Western Pacific during the past month, gearing up for multinational exercises and port visits that are as much about reassuring allies as they are about naval tactics.

The scale of the deployments isn’t unprecedented, but it is a busy time in a part of the world that’s already well-known within the Navy for its grinding operations tempo.

On June 26, the aircraft carrier USS George Washington and its 5,500 personnel departed Yokosuka. They will meet up at various points with six surface ships within its strike group, with a submarine presence likely lurking nearby.

Two weeks earlier, the amphibious USS Bonhomme Richard and its strike group departed Sasebo Naval Base, and it has since embarked the Okinawa-based 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit.

The deployments are all part of routine plans developed over the past year, 7th Fleet officials told Stars and Stripes.

They also show an eagerness of nations in the region to partner with the United States in light of China’s growing might — a reason the deployments are considered routine, according to Asia-Pacific analysts.

While some positive signs have recently emerged in the U.S.-China military relationship, Beijing’s claim to sovereignty over international waters and its increasingly sophisticated weaponry mean that tensions in the region aren’t going away anytime soon.

Japan, Australia, South Korea and much of Southeast Asia have either recently participated in exercises with the U.S. or are planning to this summer. Such allies are intent on finding ways to counter China’s military modernization — with America’s help.

The U.S. updates its “C4I” — a host of command, intelligence and technological procedures — every year or two, and sea exercises help allies keep pace with the changes, said Rear Adm. Mark Montgomery, who commands the USS George Washington Strike Group and the 7th Fleet’s battle force.

While the U.S. has the most to offer in terms of capabilities, the Navy also learns from its partners. Montgomery cited South Korea’s special forces as an example.

“They’re very good at taking on and defeating small craft,” Montgomery said. “That’s not something we do every day.”

For smaller nations whose claims to islands in the South China Sea conflict with Beijing’s, military exercises with the U.S. are among the few tools they have to defend their perceived borders while maintaining vital economic links with China.

“All of these nations don’t want to be put in a position of having to choose,” said professor Jeff Kingston, Asian studies director at Temple University, Japan. “Having the U.S. as a counterweight to the Chinese presence is welcome.”

China’s ongoing conflicts over islands — along with their nearby fishing and energy rights — with Japan, the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia and Taiwan sometimes boil over into standoffs.

For example, China has been turning away Philippine ships from Scarborough Shoal, about 140 miles from the main Philippine island of Luzon, ever since a Philippine ship tried to arrest several Chinese for fishing illegally last year.

Since February, there have been few incidents among Chinese ships and other nations in the East and South China seas. However, fishing season in the South China Sea is peaking, and Philippine and Chinese officials exchanged bellicose words last week over more disputed shoals.

“It’s a positive sign that the more threatening activities have abated somewhat,” Kingston said. “But we’re getting into the summer season, where typically incidents have flared up. I don’t think we’re home free yet.”

Calmer waters ahead?

Despite troubles with allies and wariness of China’s advances in anti-carrier missiles, at-sea relations between the U.S. and China appear more relaxed than they have been in recent years.

Tensions peaked when Chinese vessels surrounded and harassed the USNS Impeccable in 2009.

A year later, Chinese ships — sometimes marked as fishing vessels — shadowed U.S. ships and occasionally blocked their navigation lanes, 7th Fleet sailors have told Stars and Stripes.

There have been no public reports of China using such tactics on U.S. ships recently.

“I have not seen any spikes or signs of [unprofessionalism] in those interactions,” Montgomery, said, citing ship reports from the first six months of his command.

At the time of the 2009 incident, China justified its conduct by citing the Impeccable’s surveillance activities within China’s 200-mile exclusive economic zone.

Such economic zones compose about one-third of the world’s waters and are considered by most nations to be international waters, where any ship can navigate and monitor activity.

In June, China signaled that its views may be changing with an admission that undercut its prior stance on Impeccable’s activities.

A Chinese officer told Adm. Samuel Locklear, Pacific Command chief, at a Singapore gathering of defense officials that China’s navy had conducted missions within the U.S. exclusive economic zones off Guam and Hawaii, confirming an earlier report to Congress.

“We encourage their ability to do that,” Locklear said, according to a Financial Times report.

Another sign of warming came via the informal summit last month between President Barack Obama and Premier Xi Jinping. It was widely hailed as setting the right tone between the two countries, though Xi maintained all of Beijing’s territorial claims.

“If you take a broad view of all military-to-military relations the U.S. has with China, they tend to make the most progress in periods after high-level meetings,” said Carlyle Thayer, an American author and professor emeritus at Australia’s University of New South Wales.

On Monday, China entered into talks with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations on a binding code of conduct that would regulate ship activity in the South China Sea. ASEAN and the United States have long pursued China’s participation in such talks.

China’s accession to such an agreement would be welcome to U.S. sailors hoping for calm, uneventful deployments in the coming years. However, nothing is a given when it comes to China’s ambitions and responses to perceived slights to its sovereignty.

A U.S. arms sale to Taiwan, which China claims as its own, an exercise or a surveillance mission that China deems provocative are all potential future flashpoints, Thayer said.

“Chinese policies are reactive, anyway,” Thayer said. “Chinese sovereignty is a raw nerve, and anytime it’s touched, it will get a reaction.”

Regional News

Thai Immigration Police Detain Over 26,000 Illegal Migrant Workers

Illegal Migrant Workers

Thailand’s Immigration Police have detained approximately 26,000 illegal migrant workers from Laos, Myanmar, and Cambodia during an eight-day operation in Bangkok and surrounding regions, according to a Royal Thai Police spokesperson.

Mr Adisorn Keudmeuangkhon of the Bangkok-based Migrant Working Group said the drive was in response to an increasing number of concerns about an influx of illegal migrant labor.

“Some Thai people see that many illegal workers are competing for their job positions in the past few months,” he told me. “That’s why the ministry has to take tougher action.”

Civil strife in Myanmar and the recent implementation of a military conscription have driven thousands of Burmese into Thailand, while severe inflation and limited job opportunities in Laos have also encouraged an influx of workers from that country.

Between June 5 and 12, officials detained and checked 20,111 Myanmar laborers, 1,659 Laotian migrant workers, and 3,971 Cambodian workers, according to the Ministry of Labor.

It marked the start of a 120-day campaign to audit workplaces and arrest unlawful migrant workers, according to the government.

migrant workers

Migrant Workers to be Deported

According to Keudmeuangkhon, undocumented workers face fines ranging from 5,000 to 50,000 Thai baht (US $136 to $1,365), deportation, and a two-year prohibition on re-entering Thailand.

Authorities did not intend to file criminal charges, he claimed.

Authorities raided 1,774 workplaces, according to Moe Gyo, chairman of the Joint Action Committee on Burmese Affairs, which advocates for Myanmar labor rights.

He stated that since the military junta activated conscription, there has been an upsurge in the number of arrests of Myanmar citizens in Thailand who do not have a work permit identity card.

All men aged 18 to 35 and women aged 18 to 27 must serve in the military for at least two years. The first group of 5,000 conscripts summoned by Myanmar’s junta will start duty at the end of this month, military sources told AFP on Monday.

According to Keudmeuangkhon, the bulk of Lao migrant workers in Thailand work as fresh market shopkeepers, restaurant servers, and mall salespeople.

Most people visit Thailand as part of ASEAN’s visa-free policy for tourists, but they stay longer than the 30-day restriction once they find job.

“Employers like to hire Lao migrant workers in the service sector because they can speak fluent Thai,” he told me.

Illegal Migrant Workers

Immigration Police Detain Illegal Migrant Workers

The Thai Cabinet may approve an enhanced program for Thai employers to register their unauthorized foreign workers in July or August. Keudmeuangkhon explained.

Last month, the Thai Ministry of Labor’s Foreign Workers Administration office announced that 268,465 Lao migrant workers were officially working in Thailand.

Baykham Kattiya, Lao Minister of Labor, told Radio Free Asia earlier this month that there are 415,956 migrant workers in other nations, the majority of whom work in Thailand.

According to her, the Lao government believes that over 203,000 persons working outside of the nation lack proper work documents.

However, a Lao official familiar with the labor industry informed Radio Free Asia, a BenarNews-affiliated news station, on June 20 that the number of illegal Lao migrant workers in Thailand and abroad is likely significantly greater.

“They go to other countries as illegal migrant workers through different types of methods – as tourists or students,” said the politician. “Thus, it is hard for the immigration police to collect data on these people.”

Government Officials Responsible for Smuggling in Migrant Workers

Government Officials Responsible for Smuggling in Migrant Workers

Continue Reading

News

High School Student Dies After Being Electrocuted By School Water Dispenser

Water Dispenser at High School
14-year-old boy was electrocuted by a water dispenser: File Image

Thailand’s Office of Basic Education Commission has initiated an investigation into the electrocution of a 14-year-old student by a water dispenser in a high school. The event happened at noon on Friday, during the high school’s sports day. The victim was a Grade 8 student.

According to local media in Trang Province, the incident occurred when a teacher instructed the pupil to turn off a water dispenser amid a heavy rain.

According to a witness, the child collapsed while strolling with his friend near a water station. The friend claimed he attempted to assist but was also shocked by electricity.

According to reports, the friend then recovered, left the site, and requested assistance from teachers. A teacher ran to the scene and used a towel to pull the boy away by the ankle. He was taken to the hospital, but it was too late, they claimed.

The event sparked criticism from parents and netizens over school safety, as well as the slow response to aid the young youngster.

Mr. Chainarong Changrua, head of Trang-Krabi’s Secondary Educational Service Area Office, told local media on Sunday that forensic officers from Trang Provincial Police had visited the area. They discovered the blown breaker switch behind the water dispenser, he explained.

The breaker was burned out, thus the authorities assumed the disaster was caused by a short circuit that allowed energy to spill to a neighboring power pole. The student also appeared wet and was not wearing shoes when electrocuted.

According to the Office of Basic Education Commission, a probe team will complete its investigation this week.

The student’s father, Mr Pornchai Thepsuwan, 53, claimed he was saddened when he saw his son’s body. The boy (Wayu), was the youngest of two boys, he explained. He stated that following the tragedy, the school director and staff gave financial assistance to the families.

Mr Pornchai also said he would not seek charges against the institution because he believed it was an accident.

Electrical accidents in Thailand

Electrocution instances in Thailand have increased alarmingly in recent years. Many mishaps occur as a result of improper wiring and inadequate maintenance of electrical systems.

Public locations, such as schools and markets, frequently lack adequate safety precautions, putting individuals in danger. In rural areas, antiquated infrastructure exacerbates the situation, resulting in more frequent and serious events.

Although several high-profile cases have brought these challenges to light, genuine progress has been gradual. Furthermore, the rainy season heightens the likelihood of electrical accidents, as water and exposed wires do not mix well.

The government has made steps to strengthen safety standards, but enforcement is patchy. More education on electrical safety could help to reduce these accidents.

Unfortunately, better infrastructure and tougher rules may have prevented many of these incidents. The loss and injuries caused by electrocution are avoidable, emphasizing the need for immediate action.

Over 200 High School Students Facing Sedition Charges in Thailand

Over 200 High School Students Facing Sedition Charges in Thailand

Continue Reading

News

Thailand’s Tourist Police Crackdown on Tourist Scammers in Pattaya

Tourist Police Pattaya
Tourist Police Pattaya: File Image

Thailand’s Tourist Police said it is collaborating with embassies from five countries to combat tourist scams and ten criminal gangs in Pattaya. The Tourist Police Bureau, convened a meeting on Thursday Pol Lt Gen Saksira Phuek-am told a press briefing.

Pol Lt Gen Saksira Phuek-am, the Tourist Police bureau commissioner said the participants included ambassadors from South Korea, Ukraine, Russia, India, and Switzerland.

He told the briefing the he had ordered a crackdown on tourist frauds, such as fraudulent or low-quality tour operators and unfair sales of goods and services. Stepped-up operations began on June 19 and will continue until June 25.

He stated that the agency was working with numerous organisations to increase tourists’ confidence in visiting Pattaya.

Gen Saksira spent time on the famed Walking Street speaking with officers on duty and assigned them to seek for members of ten criminal groups known to operate in Pattaya.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin will visit Chon Buri on Saturday to assess the tourism situation. He intends to visit the site of a future Formula One racecourse near Khao Phra Tamnak in Bang Lamung District.

Prime Minister Srettha recently met with Formula One organisers in Italy to examine the potential of including Thailand on the race schedule in the future.

On Sunday, the Prime Minister will pay a visit to Rayong’s U-tapao airport to discuss development on the airport’s land, with the goal of encouraging investment in the Eastern Economic Corridor.

Police Chief Reinstated

In other police news, Pol Gen Torsak Sukvimol has been reinstated as national police chief following the conclusion of an investigation into a highly publicised quarrel, according to Wissanu Krea-ngam, Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin’s counsellor.

Mr Wissanu released the investigation’s findings on Thursday, after the prime minister formed a fact-finding committee chaired by Chatchai Promlert to investigate into the quarrel between Pol Gen Torsak and his deputy, Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn.

The four-month study revealed conflicts and disorder at all levels of the Royal Thai Police, but it was unclear whether these issues arose from a single cause or several causes, according to Mr Wissanu.

The findings revealed that both Pol Gen Torsak and Pol Gen Surachate were involved, with each team contributing to the tensions, he noted.

Mr Wissanu indicated that Pol Gen Surachate was reinstated as deputy national police head on 18 April following his relocation to the Prime Minister’s Office on 20 March. A disciplinary committee was formed to investigate Pol Gen Surachate, and he was ordered temporarily suspended from the police force.

Because there were no further difficulties to explore, it was decided to restore Pol Gen Torsak. He plans to retire on September 30.

On March 20, Mr Srettha abruptly transferred both top police officers to the Prime Minister’s Office in an effort to address the growing schism within the police service.

Kitrat Panphet, Deputy National Police Chief, was subsequently named Acting Police Chief. According to sources, Pol Gen Surachate could face money laundering charges related to online gaming networks.

Source: Bangkok Post

Continue Reading

Trending