Connect with us

News Asia

Indian Cough Syrups Killed More Than 70 Children In Gambia – WHO Alert

Cough Syrups

(CTN News) – According to a chemicals merchant participating in the supply chain, an unnamed intermediary in Mumbai delivered a critical raw material used in Indian cough syrups that were related to the deaths of more than 70 children in the Gambia.

Indian Cough Syrups Produced By

The syrups, produced by the Indian company Maiden Pharmaceuticals Ltd., were found to contain the deadly poisons ethylene glycol (EG) and diethylene glycol (DEG), which are also found in brake fluid.

Because they can cost less than half as much, these ingredients can be used by dishonest actors as a substitute for propylene glycol (PG), a crucial base of syrupy medicines, according to a March report from Reuters.

Most of the dead kids were under five years old and suffered from severe kidney injury; some of them passed away just days after taking the syrups.

The propylene glycol used in the syrups came from Goel Pharma Chem, a pharma-supplies company with headquarters in Delhi.

And was “recorded to have been imported” from South Korean producer SKC Co Ltd (011790.KS), according to information sent to the WHO by India’s medicines regulator in December.

Sharad Goel, whose north Delhi-based company bears his name, claimed to have purchased the material in sealed barrels, though not from SKC.

For the first time, Goel spoke up to Reuters in February.

Goel stated, “I can’t name the supplier – we have business links that we need to keep,” adding that his business had “not done anything wrong.”

He said that his company was “just a trader, passing on sealed barrels that we receive.” We have no control over them.

Reuters was unable to independently corroborate Goel’s claim.

He claimed that his business had ceased selling PG following the poisonings in the Gambia but had continued to supply other goods, such flour, and that he typically purchases the majority of his goods from 8–10 importers.

After that, Goel stopped returning phone calls, and when a reporter called twice in April, his office was shut. Workers at a nearby facility reported that they had not seen it open in the recent months.

SKC Told That it had Never Supplied any PG either to Goel or to Maiden

If correct, Goel’s assertion would identify a gap in the investigations into the contaminated products conducted by the WHO, India, and the Gambia.

The WHO and the Gambia’s government claim that the paucity of information coming from India has hindered their efforts to identify the perpetrator.

According to a letter it gave to Maiden that was obtained by Reuters, India’s pharmaceuticals regulator stated in December that its own tests had revealed no contaminants in the syrups.

But factory inspectors had earlier discovered that some batches of medication may have been mislabeled.

In light of that, it has not made it apparent how it can be certain that it tested the right batch.

Inquiries about the purported intermediary or any other issues brought up in this narrative were not answered by India’s health ministry.

The WHO’s main investigator indicated that enquiries have come to a “dead end” due to a lack of information from the Indian authorities and the manufacturer when questioned about the allegation that there was a middleman in the supply chain.

“If you ask and you don’t get informed, it’s a dead end,” said Rutendo Kuwana, the WHO’s team head for events involving substandard and counterfeit medications, in an interview with Reuters on March 31.

This week, a WHO representative stated that the only information the organisation has so far from Indian authorities is that Goel purchased propylene glycol from SKC.

However, no documentation of the transactions was given. The WHO claimed that it had likewise been unsuccessful in getting the Korean authority to validate that transaction.

An inquiry for comments was not answered by the Korean regulatory body.

The Indian regulatory body claimed that it obtained its knowledge of the raw materials from certificates of analysis (COAs), which are the common documents used to trace each component in a drug supply chain.

Maiden said purchased raw ingredients from “certified and reputable companies.”

India’s health ministry has informed the WHO that the charges against Maiden’s syrups “adversely impacted the image” of the $41 billion pharmaceutical sector in the nation and that it does not accept responsibility for the deaths in Gambia.

Naresh Kumar Goyal, the CEO of Maiden, told Reuters in December that his company had done nothing illegal and declined to comment more for this article.

Also declining to comment was a Maiden representative in the company’s New Delhi headquarters.

The Gambia’s Medicines Control Agency added that despite its request for information following the discovery of the contaminated items, neither Maiden nor the Indian authorities had responded.

Kuwana of the WHO told Reuters that his organisation is still determined to learn what transpired with Maiden’s products.

According to notifications issued by the organisation, the WHO is also attempting to learn more about the supply chains of two further Indian pharmaceutical companies that created tainted cough syrups that were distributed in Uzbekistan, the Marshall Islands, and Micronesia.

Both businesses deny wrongdoing; however, three employees of one of them were detained by Indian police in March.

In connection with that investigation, Uzbek authorities detained four individuals in January. Requests for comment from them and the Micronesian authorities received no immediate response.

Indian Cough Syrups Violation

Maiden has a history of having production problems.

Two of its executives—Managing Director Goyal and Technical Director M.K. Sharma—were given prison terms of two and a half years in February by an Indian court for the almost ten-year-old narcotics export to Vietnam.

The court gave them one month to file an appeal; Reuters was unable to learn the case’s status.

Requests for comment from Goyal went unanswered, and neither Sharma nor his lawyer could be reached. The spokesman for Maiden chose not to respond.

According to a government document, drug inspectors discovered 12 infractions at Maiden in October relating to the manufacturing of the cough syrups shipped to Gambia.

Propylene glycol COAs and other raw materials utilised in the syrup production, among others, lacked batch numbers. Some products lacked production and expiration dates.

This implies that there may not be a trustworthy record of where the materials came from, according to four industry and regulatory experts who spoke to Reuters.

Inspectors from the authorities discovered Maiden had neglected to examine the PG used in the syrups

The labels on the syrup bottles said they were created in December 2021, while batch manufacturing records indicated later dates, between February and March in 2022.

They identified inconsistencies in the paperwork of the finished products.

According to a former Indian health ministry official, this discrepancy would make it difficult for government testers to confirm that the medications they were evaluating were the same as those shipped to Gambia.

The information on the labels and the batch records are completely at odds, which raises concerns about the product’s authenticity, according to Kundan Lal Sharma, who oversaw medicine and food regulation for the Health Ministry from 2014 to 2017.

This indicates that something has been concocted, he said. Nobody can make a guarantee without the necessary paperwork.

In addition, Maiden has not responded to inquiries concerning the labelling or documentation, and India’s health ministry has neglected to explain how it determined that the syrups examined by its labs originated from the same batches.

The WHO’s own tests on cough syrup from two different independent laboratories, both of which revealed contamination, Kuwana claimed, were conclusive.

He said that despite repeated requests, the agency has not been given access to the complete results of the tests the Indian government conducted on the syrups or the certificates of analysis for the raw ingredients or final goods sampled.

Based on the recent events, the agency claims it is currently evaluating its recommendations for how nations should regulate the raw materials used to make medications.

When questioned about how it was possible for test findings from the WHO and India to differ, Kuwana responded that in previous cases of tainted medications.

A producer had swapped samples for testing that did not reflect what was available on the market. He claimed that the WHO was unaware of whether it had occurred in this instance.

Kuwana explained that typically when that occurs, it is because we haven’t tested the same sample.

News Asia

Bangladesh Supreme Court to Rule on Controversial Job Quotas Amid Nationwide protests

Bangladesh Supreme Court to Rule on Controversial Job Quotas Amid Nationwide protests

(CTN News) – The future of public service hiring regulations, which have provoked national conflicts between police and university students that have resulted in at least 133 fatalities so far, is set to be decided by Bangladesh’s Supreme Court on Sunday, or today.

Later in the day, the nation’s highest court will meet to declare its decision about the controversial job quotas—either in favor of or against their elimination.

This week’s protests over politically motivated admission quotas for highly sought-after government posts turned into some of the worst instability during Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s watch.

Due to the ongoing turmoil, a curfew has been in place since Friday. In addition, the government has declared a two-day holiday during which all offices and institutions would be closed.

After riot police were unable to restore order, soldiers are now policing cities throughout Bangladesh, and since Thursday, there has been a statewide internet blackout that has severely limited the flow of information to the outside world.

SEE ALSO: Nearly 1,000 Indian Students Return from Bangladesh Amid Deadly Unrest Over Job Quota System

Hasina made hints to the public this week that the plan will be abandoned, which comes after her opponents accuse her government of using the judiciary to further its own agenda.

However, a positive decision is unlikely to calm the nation’s simmering rage in the wake of the intensifying crackdown and growing dead toll.

Business owner Hasibul Sheikh, 24, told AFP, “It’s not about the rights of the students anymore,” while observing a Saturday street demonstration in the capital city of Dhaka against a statewide curfew.

“Our demand is one point now, and that’s the resignation of the government,” he stated.

A system that reserves more than half of civil service positions for particular groups, like as children of veterans of the 1971 war, is the driving force behind the upheaval this month.

Hasina, 76, has ruled the nation since 2009 and won her fourth consecutive election in January following a ballot in which there was no real competition, according to critics who claim the program helps families who support her.

Rights organizations accuse Hasina’s government of abusing state institutions, including as the extrajudicial assassination of opposition activists, in order to strengthen its grasp on power and quell dissent.

Bangladesh’s 170 million people lack access to sufficient employment possibilities, therefore the quota system is a major cause of anger for recent graduates who are struggling to find work.

“The government’s actions have made the situation worse, rather than trying to address the protesters’ grievances,” Pierre Prakash, Asia director of Crisis Group, told AFP.

After a week of increasing violence, Hasina canceled her intentions to depart the nation on Sunday for a diplomatic trip to Spain and Brazil.

Source: The Indian Express

Continue Reading

News Asia

Pakistani Government Plans to Ban PTI

Pakistani Government Plans to Ban PTI

(CTN News) – The Pakistani government has announced measures to outlaw Pakistan Terheek-e-Insaf (PTI), the party of imprisoned former Prime Minister Imran Khan.

Information Minister Attaullah Tarar made the declaration on Monday, only days after the Supreme Court declared the PTI eligible for a share of reserved seats in national and provincial assemblies.

After reviewing all relevant information, the government has decided to ban PTI. “We will file a case to ban the party,” he said, citing claims such as inciting violent protests last year and leaking confidential information.

Tarar stated that the case would be moved to the Supreme Court.

He also stated that the government intended to file treason charges against Khan and two other senior party leaders, former President of Pakistan Arif Alvi and ex-Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly Qasim Suri, as well as a review appeal against the Supreme Court’s ruling that the PTI should be allocated some assembly seats reserved for women and members of religious minorities.

According to Sayed Zulfiqar Bukhari, a top PTI politician and party spokesperson, the government’s action “betrays their complete panic”.

“After realizing that they could no longer threaten, compel, or blackmail judges, they decided to make this move through the cabinet. “All of their attempts to stop us have been declared illegal by the courts,” he stated.

Last week, the Supreme Court recognized the PTI as a political party and confirmed that the party’s lack of an electoral emblem did not affect its legal right to field candidates.

The verdict was in response to the PTI being barred from competing in parliamentary elections in February using its party emblem, the cricket bat, forcing it to field candidates as independents.

Despite the setback, PTI-backed candidates emerged as the largest parliamentary bloc, winning 93 seats.

After Khan declined to cooperate with his political opponents, the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PMLN) and Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) formed a coalition government with other smaller parties.

Ex-Governor Sindh Zubair, who formerly served in the PMLN, stated that the government’s action was in response to the Supreme Court’s ruling last week and warned of political upheaval ahead.

“The powers that be are trying to disenfranchise the largest majority of voters of the country, who voted for PTI,” he disclosed to Al Jazeera.

Khan was appointed prime minister in August 2018 but was dismissed from power in April 2022 after a parliamentary vote of no-confidence.

The cricketer-turned-politician has since faced a slew of legal issues, including charges of misplacing and leaking the contents of a confidential cable delivered to Islamabad by Pakistan’s then-ambassador in the US in 2022.

Khan has continually disputed the charge, claiming that the dossier contained evidence that his resignation as prime minister was orchestrated by his political opponents and the country’s powerful military, with assistance from the US administration. Both Washington and Pakistan’s army deny the accusation.

Despite multiple recent court verdicts in his favor, Khan has been in prison since August of last year.

Source: Aljazeera

Continue Reading

News Asia

NAB Re-Arrests Imran Khan and Bushra Bibi After Iddat Case Conviction Overturned

NAB Re-Arrests Imran Khan and Bushra Bibi After Iddat Case Conviction Overturned

(CTN News) – Former Prime Minister Imran Khan and his wife, Bushra Bibi, were acquitted in the Iddat case by a sessions court on Saturday, less than 24 hours after the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the PTI in reserved seats.

However, their relief was short-lived when Imran Khan was detained by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) for selling official goods. Bushra Bibi was also rearrested in this case while being released from Adiala Jail’s Gate No. 3.

According to sources, the NAB detained Bushra Bibi after the bureau’s chairman issued arrest warrants for her and Imran Khan. Both are to be investigated in Adiala Jail.

Opposition leader Omar Ayub Khan condemned Bushra Bibi’s imprisonment and criticized the Adiala Jail administration. He also cautioned the jail superintendent of the repercussions and announced that a privilege motion would be filed against him.

Imran Khan and Bushra Bibi were acquitted in the Iddat case after Additional District and Sessions Judge (ADSJ) Mohammad Afzal Majoka reversed their previous verdict, which sentenced them to seven years in prison on February 3, five days before the general election.

Imran Khan’s lawyers, Usman Gill and Zaheer Abbas, were in court when the verdict was pronounced.

In the 28-page ruling, Judge Majoka rejected Khawar Fareed Maneka, Bushra Bibi’s ex-husband,’s arguments that Imran Khan and Bushra Bibi’s nikah was illegally performed and that Mr. Maneka was denied Buju (reconciliation rights) under religious law.

The court also rejected the allegation of fornication under provision 496-B of the Pakistan Penal Code (PPC), stating that no charge was filed under this provision against both Imran Khan and his spouse “because there was no evidence of a second witness”. The trial court heard only one witness, Mr Maneka’s domestic servant.

“In these circumstances, it cannot be said that the appellants committed fornication,” the judge wrote. Regarding the charge of contracting marriage fraudulently during the Iddat period, the judge found that in a video given as evidence during the trial, Mr. Maneka lauded his ex-wife, Bushra Bibi, and “deposed that his ex-wife is a pious lady.”

The magistrate inquired about “how this witness [Mr Maneka] can claim that the appellant No. 2 [Bushra Bibi] committed fraud with him” .

The court announced its decision: “From a perusal of Section 496 PPC and the above-mentioned esteemed citations, this court is of the view that the appellants have not gone through any marriage ceremony fraudulently or with dishonest intention because none of the parties claimed that nikah was not performed and fraudulently he or she was supposed to believe that marriage ceremony was solemnised.”

The court judgment added: “In the instant instance, it is the complainant’s case that the appellants’ nikah was done on January 1, 2018, followed by the second nikah in February 2018. By no stretch of the imagination, it was a marriage with dishonest or deceptive intentions.”

Regarding Mr. Maneka’s claim that he was denied reconciliation rights and so deceived by Imran Khan and Ms. Bibi, the court noted that during cross-examination, Mr. Maneka stated that he learned of the appellants’ marriage on the second day of their nikah.

Before submitting the complaint, the judge questioned why Mr Maneka had been silent on his reconciliation rights for six years.

The judge stated, “The complainant has failed to prove his case against the appellants.” As a result, both appeals filed by appellants No. 1 [Imran Khan] and No. 2 [Bushra Bibi] are accepted, the judgment of the learned trial court of February 3, 2024, is overturned, and both appellants are acquitted of the accusation.”

The court ordered their freedom unless they needed to be imprisoned in other cases.

Source: DAWN

Continue Reading

Trending