Connect with us

News

Myanmar’s Military Kills and Burn 19 People, Including Four Children

Myanmar's Military Kills and Burn 19 People, Including Four Children

Myanmar’s military government troops stormed a village in the country’s central area on Friday, killing 19 residents, including four children, and burning their bodies., according to independent media and local NGOs.

The killings in Myanmar’s Bago Region, located in the southern central part of the country, may have been in retaliation for an attack by resistance elements opposed to army control.

According to a member of the locally formed People’s Defence Force quoted by Radio Free Asia, the killings occurred after fighting the same day between the army and his group and its allies from the Karen National Liberation Army, an ethnic rebel group that operates in the area. According to him, the rebel troops killed 20 soldiers and kidnapped three officers.

A farmer from the area told The Associated Press that the raid by roughly ten troops killed his wife, 7-year-old daughter, and nine other relatives.

The farmer, who requested anonymity because he feared prosecution, said he had been working in the fields and did not return on Wednesday after learning soldiers had stormed the area, so he did not witness the executions.

When he arrived the next day, his family members had vanished, and he discovered victims burnt beyond recognition in two locations across the little community.

“They can kill people as easily as they can kill a chicken or a bird.” On humanitarian grounds, they should have released the youngsters, who don’t comprehend anything,” the farmer remarked.

He claimed that 19 people were slain, and that they seemed to have been shot in the head before their bodies were burned with petrol and diesel fuel stolen from a village shop. He also stated that the soldiers enjoyed beer and alcoholic beverages.

Reports of the killings, as well as what appeared to be photos and videos of the victims’ remains, appeared in independent Myanmar media and social media on Friday, the same day a human rights monitoring group released a report charging that Myanmar’s military is deliberately carrying out atrocities, including beheadings, to instill terror in those fighting the army and an already dismayed public.

Myanmar Witness, a human rights organisation, singled out an army unit called the Ogre Column for its cruelty in the centre area of Sagaing, which is considered Myanmar’s traditional heartland.

Sagaing is a centre of armed opposition to the reigning military, which seized power from Aung San Suu Kyi’s democratic administration on February 1, 2021. The army’s seizure sparked widespread nonviolent protests, which were met with brutal force, sparking armed resistance across the country.

According to Myanmar Witness, at least 33 villagers were slain between late February and early April, with 12 of them being beheaded and two mutilated by the Ogre Column and other forces.

The majority of the beheaded victims were displayed in a horrific manner.

“In a number of these cases, people were killed and then beheaded.” “Because the beheadings serve no functional purpose, they serve as a dramatic and horrific warning to those who oppose military rule,” according to the article.

The Ogre Column is reported to be part of the army’s 99th Light Infantry Division.

The chief of the local defence force who incinerated the bodies of two beheaded teenagers slain by the Ogre Column in April told The Associated Press at the time that the Ogre Column “is harsher in killing than other groups of soldiers.”

The 99th Light Infantry Division, stationed in Sagaing’s neighbouring Mandalay district, and the No. 8 Military Training School in Sagaing’s Shwebo township have been frequently blamed by villagers for the majority of the killings, according to the article.

According to Myanmar Witness, the 99th Light Infantry Division has a history of violence, including allegations of involvement in a brutal 2017 counterinsurgency campaign in the western state of Rakhine that forced more than 700,000 Muslim Rohingya refugees to flee to neighbouring Bangladesh for safety.

Myanmar Witness stated that their findings are based on analyses of photographs and recordings of the incidents’ aftermath, as well as reports in both pro-military and alternative media.

Since the military takeover on February 1, 2021, the situation in Myanmar (previously known as Burma) has been defined by significant demonstrations and bloodshed.

The military, popularly known as the Tatmadaw, ousted Aung San Suu Kyi’s democratically elected government and her National League for Democracy (NLD) party. Since then, the military has been cracking down on protestors and dissenters, suppressing opposition with violence and intimidation.

The use of live bullets, tear gas, and other types of force on peaceful protesters has resulted in many deaths and injuries. Torture and arbitrary arrests and detentions have also been reported.

Many countries and international organisations have condemned the violence, and there have been calls for the military to resign and for democracy to be restored in Myanmar. The junta, on the other hand, has showed no signs of relenting, and the situation remains turbulent and unsettled.

Since the coup on February 1, 2021, Aung San Suu Kyi, the former leader of Myanmar’s democratically elected government, has been incarcerated by the military. She was placed under house arrest at first, but was later charged with a variety of offences, including breaking import-export restrictions and possessing unregistered communication equipment.

Aung San Suu Kyi was convicted of the accusations against her in June 2021 and sentenced to two years in prison. The trial was highly criticised for being politically motivated and lacking due process.

For many years, Aung San Suu Kyi has been a significant figure in Myanmar’s democratic movement and a symbol of resistance to military authority. Many countries and organisations have criticised her detention, and there have been calls for her release and the restoration of democracy in Myanmar.

Despite her imprisonment, Aung San Suu Kyi remains a popular and prominent person in Myanmar, with supporters both within and outside the nation.

Thousands, Including More than 800 Children Flee Myanmar

Thousands, Including More than 800 Children Flee Fighting Myanmar

News

Google’s Search Dominance Is Unwinding, But Still Accounting 48% Search Revenue

Google

Google is so closely associated with its key product that its name is a verb that signifies “search.” However, Google’s dominance in that sector is dwindling.

According to eMarketer, Google will lose control of the US search industry for the first time in decades next year.

Google will remain the dominant search player, accounting for 48% of American search advertising revenue. And, remarkably, Google is still increasing its sales in the field, despite being the dominating player in search since the early days of the George W. Bush administration. However, Amazon is growing at a quicker rate.

google

Google’s Search Dominance Is Unwinding

Amazon will hold over a quarter of US search ad dollars next year, rising to 27% by 2026, while Google will fall even more, according to eMarketer.

The Wall Street Journal was first to report on the forecast.

Lest you think you’ll have to switch to Bing or Yahoo, this isn’t the end of Google or anything really near.

Google is the fourth-most valued public firm in the world. Its market worth is $2.1 trillion, trailing just Apple, Microsoft, and the AI chip darling Nvidia. It also maintains its dominance in other industries, such as display advertisements, where it dominates alongside Facebook’s parent firm Meta, and video ads on YouTube.

To put those “other” firms in context, each is worth more than Delta Air Lines’ total market value. So, yeah, Google is not going anywhere.

Nonetheless, Google faces numerous dangers to its operations, particularly from antitrust regulators.

On Monday, a federal judge in San Francisco ruled that Google must open up its Google Play Store to competitors, dealing a significant blow to the firm in its long-running battle with Fortnite creator Epic Games. Google announced that it would appeal the verdict.

In August, a federal judge ruled that Google has an illegal monopoly on search. That verdict could lead to the dissolution of the company’s search operation. Another antitrust lawsuit filed last month accuses Google of abusing its dominance in the online advertising business.

Meanwhile, European regulators have compelled Google to follow tough new standards, which have resulted in multiple $1 billion-plus fines.

google

Pixa Bay

Google’s Search Dominance Is Unwinding

On top of that, the marketplace is becoming more difficult on its own.

TikTok, the fastest-growing social network, is expanding into the search market. And Amazon has accomplished something few other digital titans have done to date: it has established a habit.

When you want to buy anything, you usually go to Amazon, not Google. Amazon then buys adverts to push companies’ products to the top of your search results, increasing sales and earning Amazon a greater portion of the revenue. According to eMarketer, it is expected to generate $27.8 billion in search revenue in the United States next year, trailing only Google’s $62.9 billion total.

And then there’s AI, the technology that (supposedly) will change everything.

Why search in stilted language for “kendall jenner why bad bunny breakup” or “police moving violation driver rights no stop sign” when you can just ask OpenAI’s ChatGPT, “What’s going on with Kendall Jenner and Bad Bunny?” in “I need help fighting a moving violation involving a stop sign that wasn’t visible.” Google is working on exactly this technology with its Gemini product, but its success is far from guaranteed, especially with Apple collaborating with OpenAI and other businesses rapidly joining the market.

A Google spokeswoman referred to a blog post from last week in which the company unveiled ads in its AI overviews (the AI-generated text that appears at the top of search results). It’s Google’s way of expressing its ability to profit on a changing marketplace while retaining its business, even as its consumers steadily transition to ask-and-answer AI and away from search.

google

Google has long used a single catchphrase to defend itself against opponents who claim it is a monopoly abusing its power: competition is only a click away. Until recently, that seemed comically obtuse. Really? We are going to switch to Bing? Or Duck Duck Go? Give me a break.

But today, it feels more like reality.

Google is in no danger of disappearing. However, every highly dominating company faces some type of reckoning over time. GE, a Dow mainstay for more than a century, was broken up last year and is now a shell of its previous dominance. Sears declared bankruptcy in 2022 and is virtually out of business. US Steel, long the foundation of American manufacturing, is attempting to sell itself to a Japanese corporation.

Could we remember Google in the same way that we remember Yahoo or Ask Jeeves in decades? These next few years could be significant.

SOURCE | CNN

Continue Reading

News

2024 | Supreme Court Won’t Hear Appeal From Elon Musk’s X Platform Over Warrant In Trump Case

trump

Washington — Trump Media,  The Supreme Court announced Monday that it will not hear an appeal from social media platform X about a search warrant acquired by prosecutors in the election meddling case against former President Donald Trump.

The justices did not explain their rationale, and there were no recorded dissents.

The firm, which was known as Twitter before being purchased by billionaire Elon Musk, claims a nondisclosure order that prevented it from informing Trump about the warrant obtained by special counsel Jack Smith’s team violated its First Amendment rights.

The business also claims Trump should have had an opportunity to exercise executive privilege. If not reined in, the government may employ similar tactics to intercept additional privileged communications, their lawyers contended.

trump

Supreme Court Won’t Hear Appeal From Elon Musk’s X Platform Over Warrant In Trump Case

Two neutral electronic privacy groups also joined in, urging the high court to hear the case on First Amendment grounds.

Prosecutors, however, claim that the corporation never shown that Trump utilized the account for official purposes, therefore executive privilege is not a problem. A lower court also determined that informing Trump could have compromised the current probe.

trump

Trump utilized his Twitter account in the weeks preceding up to his supporters’ attack on the Capitol on January 6, 2021, to spread false assertions about the election, which prosecutors claim were intended to create doubt in the democratic process.

The indictment describes how Trump used his Twitter account to encourage his followers to travel to Washington on Jan. 6, pressuring Vice President Mike Pence to reject the certification, and falsely claiming that the Capitol crowd, which battered police officers and destroyed glass, was peaceful.

musk trump

Supreme Court Won’t Hear Appeal From Elon Musk’s X Platform Over Warrant In Trump Case

That case is now moving forward following the Supreme Court’s verdict in July, which granted Trump full immunity from criminal prosecution as a former president.

The warrant arrived at Twitter amid quick changes implemented by Musk, who bought the company in 2022 and has since cut off most of its workforce, including those dedicated to combating disinformation and hate speech.

He also welcomed back a vast list of previously banned users, including Trump, and endorsed him for the 2024 presidential election.

SOURCE | AP

Continue Reading

News

The Supreme Court Turns Down Biden’s Government Appeal in a Texas Emergency Abortion Matter.

Supreme Court

(VOR News) – A ruling that prohibits emergency abortions that contravene the Supreme Court law in the state of Texas, which has one of the most stringent abortion restrictions in the country, has been upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States. The United States Supreme Court upheld this decision.

The justices did not provide any specifics regarding the underlying reasons for their decision to uphold an order from a lower court that declared hospitals cannot be legally obligated to administer abortions if doing so would violate the law in the state of Texas.

Institutions are not required to perform abortions, as stipulated in the decree. The common populace did not investigate any opposing viewpoints. The decision was made just weeks before a presidential election that brought abortion to the forefront of the political agenda.

This decision follows the 2022 Supreme Court ruling that ended abortion nationwide.

In response to a request from the administration of Vice President Joe Biden to overturn the lower court’s decision, the justices expressed their disapproval.

The government contends that hospitals are obligated to perform abortions in compliance with federal legislation when the health or life of an expectant patient is in an exceedingly precarious condition.

This is the case in regions where the procedure is prohibited. The difficulty hospitals in Texas and other states are experiencing in determining whether or not routine care could be in violation of stringent state laws that prohibit abortion has resulted in an increase in the number of complaints concerning pregnant women who are experiencing medical distress being turned away from emergency rooms.

The administration cited the Supreme Court’s ruling in a case that bore a striking resemblance to the one that was presented to it in Idaho at the beginning of the year. The justices took a limited decision in that case to allow the continuation of emergency abortions without interruption while a lawsuit was still being heard.

In contrast, Texas has been a vocal proponent of the injunction’s continued enforcement. Texas has argued that its circumstances are distinct from those of Idaho, as the state does have an exemption for situations that pose a significant hazard to the health of an expectant patient.

According to the state, the discrepancy is the result of this exemption. The state of Idaho had a provision that safeguarded a woman’s life when the issue was first broached; however, it did not include protection for her health.

Certified medical practitioners are not obligated to wait until a woman’s life is in imminent peril before they are legally permitted to perform an abortion, as determined by the state supreme court.

The state of Texas highlighted this to the Supreme Court.

Nevertheless, medical professionals have criticized the Texas statute as being perilously ambiguous, and a medical board has declined to provide a list of all the disorders that are eligible for an exception. Furthermore, the statute has been criticized for its hazardous ambiguity.

For an extended period, termination of pregnancies has been a standard procedure in medical treatment for individuals who have been experiencing significant issues. It is implemented in this manner to prevent catastrophic outcomes, such as sepsis, organ failure, and other severe scenarios.

Nevertheless, medical professionals and hospitals in Texas and other states with strict abortion laws have noted that it is uncertain whether or not these terminations could be in violation of abortion prohibitions that include the possibility of a prison sentence. This is the case in regions where abortion prohibitions are exceedingly restrictive.

Following the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, which resulted in restrictions on the rights of women to have abortions in several Republican-ruled states, the Texas case was revisited in 2022.

As per the orders that were disclosed by the administration of Vice President Joe Biden, hospitals are still required to provide abortions in cases that are classified as dire emergency.

As stipulated in a piece of health care legislation, the majority of hospitals are obligated to provide medical assistance to patients who are experiencing medical distress. This is in accordance with the law.

The state of Texas maintained that hospitals should not be obligated to provide abortions throughout the litigation, as doing so would violate the state’s constitutional prohibition on abortions. In its January judgment, the 5th United States Circuit Court of Appeals concurred with the state and acknowledged that the administration had exceeded its authority.

SOURCE: AP

SEE ALSO:

Could Last-Minute Surprises Derail Kamala Harris’ Campaign? “Nostradamus” Explains the US Poll.

Scientists Awarded MicroRNA The Nobel Prize in Medicine.

US Inflation will Comfort a Fed Focused on Labor Markets.

Continue Reading

Trending