Connect with us

Politics

Iranian Ambassador to Thailand Assures Safety of Thai Hostages in Palestine

Iranian Ambassador to Thailand Assures Safety of Thai Hostages in Palestine

The Iranian ambassador to Thailand, Seyed Reza Nobakhti, has stated that all Thai hostages are safe in Palestinian areas and that they, along with other international hostages, will be released once Israeli forces cease bombing the Gaza Strip.

Following its October 7 surprise strike on Israel, the Palestinian militant group Hamas seized at least 200 hostages, among them 19 Thai labourers. The Iranian ambassador declared as much during a press conference in Bangkok on Friday.

He sent condolences from the Iranian authorities for the lives lost in the war in Thailand. Since fighting broke out, thirty Thais have lost their lives.

Mr. Nobakhti claimed he had heard that Iranian president Ebrahim Raisi had asked Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh to release Thai and Filipino hostages during a meeting the two men had last week in Qatar.

According to Mr. Nobakhti, the Iranians are also exerting maximum effort to communicate with Palestinian officials in Beirut. He claimed that Hamas had promised to free the hostages, but that they were unable to do so due to Israeli airstrikes on Gaza.

Thai hostages Palestine

We sent some individuals to Egypt two days ago, but they came under attack. Approximately 70 of them, he estimated. Therefore, it is extremely risky for them to free the hostages.

The time has come for the Thai government and the people of the world to put pressure on the Israeli government to end the genocide in the Gaza Strip and allow the captives to return home safely.

All international hostages, Mr. Nobakhti claimed, were currently in safe homes in Gaza, although he added that several had been killed by Israeli attacks.

The bombardment resulted in the deaths of about nine foreign hostages, although Hamas is now attempting to secure their location in secure locations. However, “as you know, it is very difficult to keep them safe, as there are many bombardments everywhere.”

Although Mr. Nobakhti fears an escalation of hostilities if the shelling of Gaza continues, he is hopeful that negotiations regarding the exchange of hostages will soon begin, leading to regional calm.

“The Palestinian side is ready for negotiations, and we hope Israel will be at the negotiation table so we will not witness the expansion of the conflict,” according to him. He also commended the Thai government’s stance of neutrality in this issue.

“[The Thai government] is doing their best, and I know that they are in contact with [the governments of] Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and so on and trying to bring back their Thai nationals,” said Mr. Nobakhti.

“There is a way to release the Thai hostages because in the meeting between Iran and Mr Haniyeh … our leader explained to Hamas that the Thai people are like our brothers-sisters and asked them to try to keep them safe,” according to him.

“They said the Thai hostages are safe and living with other Palestinian families, but unfortunately, Israelis keep bombarding all over, and this is the problem” , according to him.

According to Somchai Virunhaphol of the Palestine Solidarity Campaign (Thailand), Hamas promised to treat all hostages well and release them when the crisis calmed down during a recent press conference in Qatar.

“The first condition that I think will allow the release of foreign hostages is at least there should be a temporary ceasefire negotiation, which will provide a way to release hostages and other foreigners in Gaza who are ready to leave,” said Mr. Somchai.

Since it is unclear how long food supplies will endure for the hostages, he expressed alarm about the dire situation in the Gaza Strip.

Thailand workers Israel

Thailand repatriates 534 Workers from Israel

Meanwhile, the Foreign Affairs Ministry has confirmed that another 534 Thai workers will return home from war-torn Israel on two commercial flights this coming Saturday.

The Thai consulate in Tel Aviv has received everyone who want to return home.

On Friday at 8:15 p.m. (Israel time), the low-cost Indian airline SpiceJet will take off from Tel Aviv carrying 320 Thai passengers. We anticipate your arrival at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok, Thailand on Saturday at approximately 13:10 local time.

The flight on Arkia Israeli Airlines carrying 214 Thai workers will leave Israel at 11 p.m. local time on Friday, arriving in Thailand at 2:05 p.m. local time on Saturday.

On Friday, the Royal Thai Consulate-General in Sydney, Australia, issued a Facebook warning to Thai nationals living in the area.

Thai people in Sydney are being warned to stay away from the Hyde Park area, which stretches from Town Hall to Belmore Park, since it will be the venue of an event this Saturday in support of the State of Palestine.

The Thai community in Sydney should stay away from the rally location. They should use the Thai consulate’s emergency number, 0411 424 303, in case of any problems.

Eight Thai labourers who had been working in Israel since the Hamas attack on October 7 were among the first to have their bodies returned to Thailand on a commercial flight on Friday morning. They were taken to their various provinces and eventually returned home.

Thailand Seeks Help from Saudi Arabia Over Thai Stranded in Israel

Thailand Seeks Help from Saudi Arabia Over Thai Stranded in Israel

Politics

U.N. Special Rapporteur Calls on Thailand’s Banks to Cut-Off Myanmar Junta

UN Special Rapporteur on human rights in Myanmar Tom Andrews speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Thailand's Parliamentary Committee

The U.N special rapporteur for human rights in Myanmar has said the Bank of Thailand, commercial banks, and the anti-money laundering office are working on measures to stop the Myanmar Junta from acquiring weapons through Thailand’s banking system.

Tom Andrews the U.N. special rapporteur for human rights in Myanmar, said that some banks commercial in Thailand had aided Myanmar Junta’s by facilitating transactions that supplied military equipment to the Junta through the international banking system.

He called on the Bank of Thailand and financial institutions to do more to stop Myanmar’s junta acquiring weapons which they use on civilians to maintain power.

The special rapporteur was in Bangkok to address a parliamentary committee on security, he called on the Thai government to stop financial transactions that help supply weapons to Myanmar’s junta in line with a plan promoted by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) that sets out an end to violence as a first step toward peace.

In his 2023 report “The Billion Dollar Death Trade,” Andrews noted that Singapore had implemented a clear policy opposing the transfer of weapons to Myanmar.

Thailand's Banks

Thai Baht – File Image

Thailand’s Banks Lacked Clear Policy

As a result, exports of weapons and related materials from Singapore-registered entities using the formal banking system dropped from almost U.S. $120 million in fiscal year 2022 to just over $10 million over the next 12 months.

However, he said Thailand had no explicit policy position opposing weapons transfer to the Myanmar Junta, which saw exports from Thai-registered entities more than double in 2023, from just over $60 million to nearly $130 million.

He called on Thai Government to conduct a thorough investigation into transfers as Singapore had done into its companies’ dealings.

Andrews told the the committee that five Thai commercial banks and Thai-based companies were assisting Myanmar’s junta obtain weapons, dual-technology items and jet fuel, enabling Military Junta to conduct atrocities against the people.

But said he had found no evidence that the Thai government was involved or was aware of the transactions or that Thai commercial banks had knowledge.

Thailand's Banks

Photo courtesy of The Nation

Banks Condemn Myanmar Junta Violence

Meanwhile representatives from Thailand’s central bank, anti-money laundering office and the commercial banks named in the report were also present at the parliamentary meeting at government house in Bangkok.

A representative of the Bank of Thailand said officials were working with the commercial banks and the anti-money laundering office to make sure that enhanced oversight was properly practiced.

The Thai Bankers Association that was also at the parliamentary meeting said it did not have the means to investigate and monitor such irregularities beyond Thailand’s borders.

Mr. Pongsit Chaichatpornsuk, a Thai Bankers Association representative told the committee that If government security agencies tell us, we will stop transactions. We don’t support arms procurement by Myanmar Junta or any military government to violate human rights.

Thailand, which shares a long border with Myanmar and hosts many thousands of refugees fleeing conflict there, has tried to promote dialogue between Myanmar’s military rulers and opposition forces but no progress has been made.

This Article was first published in RFA

Continue Reading

Politics

People Rushing Sign Online Petition to Impeach South Korea’s President Crash Site

South Korea's President

The Speaker of the National Assembly of South Korea said in a statement that an online petition calling for South Korea’s President Mr. Yoon Suk-yeol’s impeachment crashed due to the enormous number of individuals attempting to sign the petition. Saying the National Assembly would resolve the matter as quickly as possible.

Since the petition was launch on the National Assembly’s website on June 20, more than 811,000 people have signed it. The petition urges Parliament to introduce legislation to impeach President Yoon on the grounds that he is unfit for office.

Late on June 30, National Assembly Speaker Mr. Woo Won-shik issued an apology for the disturbance and stated that Parliament would take action to protect the public’s fundamental rights.

People attempting to access the petition on July 1 experienced delays of up to four hours. At one point, an error message indicated that more than 30,000 individuals were waiting to access the site.

South Korea’s Parliament Hesitant

The online petition accuses Yoon of corruption, escalating the risk of conflict with North Korea, and endangering South Koreans’ health by failing to prevent Japan from leaking treated radioactive water from the destroyed Fukushima nuclear power plant.

By law, Parliament must assign every petition signed by more than 50,000 people to a committee, which will then decide whether to put it to a vote in the assembly.

However, the opposition Democratic Party, which has a majority in Parliament, is hesitant to turn the petition into an impeachment bill, according to media reports, with a spokesperson stating that the party has yet to address the topic.

The Parliament can impeach a president with a two-thirds majority. The Constitutional Court then deliberates the motion and decides whether to remove or reinstall the president.

Meanwhile, on Monday Reuters reported North Korea criticized a joint military exercise performed this month by South Korea, Japan, and the United States, according to official media, saying such drills demonstrate the three nations’ alliance has evolved into “the Asian version of NATO”.

On Thursday, the three countries began large-scale combined military drills named “Freedom Edge” featuring navy destroyers, fighter fighters, and the nuclear-powered US aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt, with the goal of strengthening defenses against missiles, submarines, and air strikes.

The drill was designed at a three-way meeting at Camp David last year to boost military cooperation amid concerns on the Korean peninsula caused by North Korea’s weapons testing.

Pyongyang will not overlook the strengthening of a military bloc led by the United States and its allies, and it would respond aggressively and decisively to defend regional peace, according to North Korea’s foreign ministry, as reported by KCNA.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

Joe Biden Assures Donors He Can Still Win Presidential Election Despite Debate Concerns

Joe Biden Assures Donors he Can Still Win Presidential Election Despite Debate Concerns

(CTN News) – US President Joe Biden has convinced Democratic donors that he can still defeat Donald Trump in the November presidential election, following a dismal debate performance that raised concerns about his prospects.

On Saturday, the 81-year-old president attended a series of fundraising events in New York and New Jersey, defending his performance in CNN’s Presidential Debate.

On Thursday, Joe Biden conceded, “I didn’t have a great night, but neither did Trump” at one event.

“I promise you we’re going to win this election,” the politician declared.

Joe Biden’s debate performance was marked by difficult-to-follow and wobbly responses, generating further concerns among some Democrats about whether he is the ideal candidate to run in this high-stakes race.

Former Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Joe Biden’s debate performance “wasn’t great,” while his former communications director, Kate Bedingfield, termed it “very disappointing.”

The president acknowledged the worry but committed to fighting harder.

New Jersey’s Democratic governor, Phil Murphy, attended the fundraiser alongside Mr. Biden and the First Lady, telling Mr. Biden, “We are all with you 1,000 percent.”

The Joe Biden team acknowledged that the debate did not go as planned but maintained he would not step aside for another nominee.

On Saturday, campaign chairwoman Jennifer O’Malley Dillon stated that internal post-debate polling revealed that “voters’ opinions were not changed”.

“It will not be the first time that overblown media narratives have driven temporary dips in the polls,” she told reporters.

Former President Barack Obama, a friend of Mr. Biden, admitted on social media that “bad debate nights happen”.

“This election is still a choice between someone who fought for ordinary folks his entire life and someone who only cares about himself,” said Mr. Obama.

Hours later, Mr Trump told his supporters that he saw the discussion as a “big victory” for his campaign.

“Joe Biden’s problem is not his age,” Trump, 78, added. “It is his competence. He’s quite incompetent.

Politicians were not the only ones who criticized Mr Biden’s performance.

A prominent editorial in the New York Times condemned his decision to run again as a “reckless gamble” and advised him to conduct some soul-searching this weekend.

It urged Democrats to “acknowledge that Joe Biden can’t continue his race and create a process to select someone more capable to stand in his place” .

Voters in the US have expressed misgivings about voting for any candidate after Thursday’s debate.

Lori Gregory, a long-time Democrat, told the BBC she “could not handle” watching the discussion, asking, “Is this the best our country can do?”

Republican Crystal Myers-Barber said it was “painful to watch,” but she also thought “Trump came across very level-headed and presidential, and Biden came across very weak.”

Democrat Shana Ziolko said she was “frustrated” by the debate and believed there was no obvious winner.

A post-debate poll conducted by liberal pollster Data for Progress revealed that 62% of potential voters who saw or read about the debate believed Trump won. Only 30% of those polled believed Mr Biden had won the debate.

Until more polling is done, fundraising could be another indicator of Joe Biden’s sustained popularity.

In a memo, chairwoman Jennifer O’Malley Dillon stated that the campaign had raised more than $27 million (£21.3 million) between the Thursday debate and Friday evening.

“After Thursday night’s debate, the Beltway class is counting Joe Biden out. “The data in battleground states, however, tells a different story,” she explained.

“This election was incredibly close before Thursday, and by every metric we’ve seen since, it remains just as close” , she commented.

Source: BBC

Continue Reading

Trending